sabato 6 settembre 2008

Interview with Jennifer Perry

q)What is your name?

a)Jennifer Perry

q)Where do you live and work?

a)I live in Illinois, in the United States, and I work from home.


q)What is your creative process like?

a)I'll sit down to paint, and I'll think about an experience from my past or my present, and then the emotions surrounding those events will turn into pictures in my head. Then I just paint those pictures.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)I really like painting with oils the most, but I still have fond memories of painting in acrylics too. I also like to draw a lot, but no one knows that.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)My favorite subject matter is always painting about my life, inside and out, and in so doing, painting about the lives of everyone else too.

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)About two weeks I would say, sometimes more, sometimes less. It depends on the detail level, and on how much wonderful 'stuff' I put into a painting.

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)That I paint as well as I do, while being self taught.

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Ann Harper, Steve Shanks, Pia Van Ravestein, Dan May, Greg Craola Simkins, Craig LaRotonda, Hussar, Joe Sorren, 'Art and Ghosts', and many many others.

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)You can buy my art through my website, at



q)Anything that people should know about that we don't??

a)That I am always impressed by people who have the courage to be who they truly are all the time. Honesty is an inside-out process. It's starts on the inside, and then works it's way out. If people want to get to know me, then the best place to start is by being honest about who they are...because I never pretend for anyone, and I would hope that people wouldn't feel the need to pretend for me.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)To focus on their own unique voice, and then to work hard to develop it. Don't think about what other artists are doing, because they are all expressing their own unique voices. The world doesn't need lots of artists imitating each other. The world needs to know what you have to say....you...so find that voice and let it sing, and don't ever let anyone try to change or take your voice from you. It's yours...keep it, love it, share it. Oh....and work hard. Self discipline and determination are key.


q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)Well, when the work gets frustrating or tough, it usually means that I'm having a hard time expressing something, since my art is my most direct and open communication with the world. What keeps me going during these times, is the knowledge that whatever I need to say, needs saying, and that no matter how tough it might be to get it said, I will get it said.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliarwith it?

a)Usually...someone will ask me what I paint, and I'll tell them 'emotional surrealism' or something like that, and then they'll give me this confused stare. So then I'll tell them that I paint about my life, using a surreal setting, and this usually does the trick.

q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I am completely self taught. I've always had this really advanced skill level, so whenever my parents would send me off to someone to develop that skill level, the teacher and I would always just end up sitting down and painting together. I taught my teachers a lot.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can't imagine living without?

a)Oh dear god....that would have to be my canvases. I love them enormously. They are super smooth and built to last. I adore them.

q)Who are your influences?


a)I can't say that I'm not influenced by anyone, but I try to create my art in a sort of artistic seclusion, so...I'm sure that I am influenced by someone, but who that is exactly, I'm not sure.

q)What inspires you to create?


a)The fact that the world needs truth. The fact that we all need to speak our own truths, and to be free.


q)…your contacts…






Nessun commento: