giovedì 11 settembre 2008

Interview with Hilary Pecis

q)What is your name?

a)Hilary Pecis

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live and work in San Francisco, California.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)I enjoy drawing, which is why my work always has elements of ink drawings collaged along side paper clippings from magazines and painted scraps of paper.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)Nanotechnology and cyberspace are two of my interests as far as things I know little about. The fantastical ideas of infinite possibilities with both those topics are quite exciting and are definitely thought about when making the landscape paintings.

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)The last body of work I created took me about 6 months. During this time I was working on about 18 pieces consecutively and full time. I image that if I were to single out one piece, it could probably be finished in a few weeks, but I like the option of moving back and forth between paintings.

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Well, that is a tricky question. I finished college and am currently in Graduate School working on my Masters of Fine Arts. But I am not sure if that constitutes any achievements. Right now I am just stoked to be doing something I love and not having to work for someone else.


q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)I love Kristin Baker who is a painter in NYC. I have never seen her work in person, but I imagine it would be really impacting to witness.

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)Triple Base Gallery (basebasebase.com) in SF exhibits my work and has drawings available in their flat files. Also, I currently have a solo exhibition up at Receiver Gallery (receivergallery.com) in SF. And finally, it will be at the NADA art fair in Miami this upcoming December. I highly recommend visiting Basel Miami during the fairs.... it is a bazaar but quite a spectacle of an event.

q)Anything that people should know about that we don't??

a)My grandfather is Italian, and I am part of the only Pecis family in the U.S. There are probably about 20 Pecis family members in over here.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)I am not so familiar with the Italian Gallery scene, so this advise may not be appropriate. However, I would just suggest getting a person's work seen as much as possible in the beginning.

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)I have faith that as long as I continue to do what I believe in, things will work out. My biggest frustrations tend to be finances, but other than that, life is pretty sweet.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)I paint post apocalyptic landscapes which exist somewhere between cyberspace and hyper reality. They are compiled of magazine shards and piles of magazine images which discuss capitalism and advertising, along with rock formations embedded with codes that direct the consumer products.


q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I received a formal art education and graduated with my Bachelors of Fine Arts in 2006. I am currently working on my Masters of Fine Arts and will graduate in 2009.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can't imagine living without?

a)Micron pens. They come in a variety of sizes and are archival

q)Who are your influences?

a)David Thorpe, Chris Ofili, Robin O'Neil, Peter Doig, Ernesto Caivano, Kristin Baker, Peter Brueghel the elder, Hieronymus Bosch, and sooo many more.

q)What inspires you to create?

a)I have been doing it ever since I was a child and can not image not making things. My boyfriend, Andrew Schoultz is also an artist and we spend much time working together and have collaborated a few times on paintings. Creating doesn't have to be inspired by much.... just a quick idea or jumping off point.


q)…your contacts…


Nessun commento: