sabato 20 settembre 2008

Interview with Anukun Hamala






q)What is your name?


a)Anukun Hamala (nokhookdesign)


q) Where do you live and work?


a) I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Now work as freelance graphic designer and run my own shop called ‘nokhookdesign’.


q)What is your creative process like?


a) My creativity comes from things surrounding me, Lanna culture, architecture, toys, people’s life style and sometimes from movies.


q)What is your favorite medium?


a) Computer graphic and some sketches


q)What is your current favorite subject?


a) Right now my interest is about Lanna culture, for example Lanna language that is fading away from our society that nowadays Lanna children cannot read and write. So I want to put these kinds of thing into my work to make them become alive again in a more modern style and now I’ve tried many techniques to design it, such as sketching and computer graphic design.


q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?


a) The fastest one took about half and hour and the maximun is 2 days.


q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?


a) None of my work should be said as ‘biggest accomplishment’ yet. They are all in the same average and still need lots of development.


q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?


a) For foreigner is ‘Friend with You’, I like the simply cartoon yet has a hint of hard idea. And for Thai artist I would like to say it’s Mr. Preecha from www.8e88.net who successfully combine Thai arts with computer graphic.

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?


a) in my website at www.nokhookdesign.com or come to my shop


q)Anything that people should know about that we don’t??


a) What people don’t know about me? Well, I’m just a poor graphic designer in my hometown. Maybe that’s what many people don’t know (laugh).


q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?


a) What else do you need? Just pen and paper and do it. Don’t waste your time.


q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?


a) Relax, go to a movie, hang out with friends and the inspiration will fall from sky.


q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?


a) Likely a cultural work mixed with retro style and funny cartoons. A half and half between western and oriental fantasy.


q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?


a) Work with fun. You would not even aware that it’s getting done and getting better.


q)Is there a tool or material that you can’t imagine living without?


a) Pen, paper and computer


q)Who are your influences?


a) As a kid, I love to see the mural painting. But I could not paint like that. It was so difficult. So it made me want to work in the field of art. Then I got some influences during my study in architecture. So when I grew up, I want to develop my thought since I was a kid and adapt the culture with my work and it becomes what you seen today.


q)What inspires you to create?


a) Mainly is my culture.


q)…your contacts…


a) e-mail: info@nokhookdesign.com


nokhookdesign shop

50 ratchamankla Soi 6 t. prasingh, Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand 50200

Tel:+66 086195-6677


My Web Sites: www.nokhookdesign.com


http://www.flickr.com/nokhookdesign


http://nokhook69.exteen.com

Nessun commento: