martedì 13 gennaio 2009

Interview with Aron Wiesenfeld






q) What is your name and what do you do?


a)I'm Aron Wiesenfeld, and I am an artist. I do mostly oil paintings and charcoal drawings.


q)When did you really get into art?


a)I was about 12. I loved comic books and copied the art in comics like "Conan the Barbarian" I think comics were my first passion, and later I became interested in painting.


q)How did you come to the realization that you should try your luck at art on a more serious level?


a)I don't know if there was a moment when I made that decision, maybe because I was young when I started drawing a lot, it just seemed natural that I should try to have a career in art. I got a job in comic books when I was out of school, which was the fulfillment of my childhood dream. My work moved away from comics, but it still feels like I'm following my passion.


q)How did you discover the particular style that you have?


a)It has taken a lot of trial and error, so my style evolved in that way, and continues to... When I started out I wanted to emulate the work of the artists that inspired me, but after a lot of time spent in the studio I started to find my own path... but I'm just at the beginning.


q)How would you describe your style?


a)What I aspire to is monumental forms, the subject matter being people. In my ideal painting, the viewer would stand in front of it and feel a physical presence from the person in the painting.


q)Who or what influences your art?


a)I go through phases with artists. My current favorite in Velazquez, particularly his late portraits of court women in giant dresses. The artists that I seem to keep returning to are Edward Hopper, Casper David Friedrich, Odd Nerdrum, John Currin, El Greco, and Botero.

I also get a lot of inspiration from fiction, for example Ishiguro's "Never let me go" captured a mood that I felt very inspired by.


q)How often do you create a new piece?


a)A large painting takes 1 to 2 months, a large drawing about half that much time.


q)What kind of success have you had with your art?


a)Sales have been pretty good in the last 2 years.


q)What would be the ultimate goal for you and your art?


a)That is a tough question... working on art feels to me like being on a journey without a clear destination. Boiled down, my ultimate goal is to feel inspired. and to share that feeling with others.


q)What do you see as an accomplishment in the way of art?


a)The best artists have found something unique, and taken it to the highest level possible for them. Their greatest works are great partly because they don't look like anyone else's.


q)What kind of message, if any, do you try to convey through your art?


a)If there is a message, it is unconscious. I try to pay attention to things that inspire me visually, whether it be something I saw, or dreamed, or read about. I usually don't know why they provoke that feeling in me, but that is the source of my imagery. It may be that those things resonate with me unconsciously because of personal unresolved feelings, or because in those moments I am seeing something that is appealing universally.


q)Sum up your art in one word.


a)I wish I could.


q)Any additional comments?


a)Thanks for doing this!


q)…your contacts…


a) aronwiesenfeld@yahoo.com


www.aronwiesenfeld.com

Nessun commento: