giovedì 18 marzo 2010

Interview with Jorge Chamorro





q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.


a)Just another one trying to survive working on his own, trying to be as closer as possible to graphic design, art, writing, expression, creativity… which it’s not easy but fucking exciting.


q) Had you always planned on being an artist [or had you other hopes]?


a)Never. I do graphic design and handmade collages, but not trying to be anything, just trying to do it. My hope is to try to make ends meet doing what I do.


q) Do you have a preferred medium to work on? Why?


a)I like handmade collage. Not computer, beautiful papers, the smell of the glue, the beauty of the cut. But I spend much more time in front of my computer than with the scissors. The handmade collages don’t bring too much food to the refrigerator.


q) How would you describe your style?


a)Simple.


q) Do you go through any certain processes while trying to produce your work?


a)With graphic design work, just trying to find calm that makes able to penetrate in the communication problem. If I connect with the essence the rest comes alone (well, with a lot of work, but it comes). If I don’t connect, things that come are just correct, but not good. Not really any method with handmade collage. Just trying to tell something. If I don’t have anything to say I even don’t try. There are already too many empty things to make more.


q) What are you working on at present?


a)Couple of nice corporative identities. I love this kind of work.


q) What about recent sources of inspirations?


a)Nothing in particular. The good stuff, wherever it comes from. It can be the baroque painters or the last conversation with my friends. It can be a museum or it can be the bar.


q) What are some of your obsessions?


a)To make things with sense.


q) Which galleries have you shown at and which galleries would you like to show at?


a)Not many, just two or three. Maybe the one it sounds better it’s the last one, Cinders Gallery in New York in a collective collage show, but it sounds better because the name of the city, I imagine.


q) If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?


a)I don’t care about it, if they contact me to give me work or to offer me a place to make an exhibition, I don’t care about the method.


q) Do you have any suggestions or advice for artists that are just starting out?


a)Something I read just some weeks ago: “the success is just to wake up everymorning and start to paint”.


q) Who are your favorite artists?


a)In collage, I like very much Hanna Höch, Eva Sil Han and James Gallagher, for example.


q) What books are on your nightstand?


a)My last bible is “Society of spectacle”, from GuyDebord. “Escritos”, from Eduardo Chillida has been another important book.


q) To what weaknesses are you most indulgent?


a)Those without bad intentions, I suppose.


q)….your contacts…


a)www.lacascaraamarga.com

jorge@lacascaraamarga.com

Nessun commento: