lunedì 1 settembre 2008

Interview with Giselind von Wurmb

q)What is your name?

a)Giselind von Wurmb

q) Where do you live and work?

a)Berlin, Germany

q)What is your creative process like?

a)I draw while watching tv. I fancy all kinds of documentaries about nature and animals.My creative process is not really constant. Sometimes I don't work for weeks and then I churn out dozens of paintings, day and night.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)Drawings. That's a spontaneous medium. I like to work on canvas, too.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)It’s always about animals and monsters. In my artwork I try to create a balance between the told and the untold, between the visible and the invisible. My pictures make statements only to deny them with the same ease.Medieval artists such as Fra Angelico influence me. I’m fascinated by the way they illustrated stories. In their pictures, the central perspective is not yet fully established, which creates an odd-shaped space. This and also the wrong anatomy are elements I try to incorporate in my works.Moreover, I’m a member of the artist group “Pathetic Sympathy Seekers.” We mainly do performances with which we refuse to fulfill the audience’s expectation while at the same time currying favor with it in a very pathetic way.



q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)Depends: from 5 minutes to 5 days

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Maybe not the biggest, but rather the most recent: together with a few friends I run a project space in Berlin, the "Kunstklub Berlin".Later this year I'm going to curate my own show. Therefore I will invite my favourite artists. I'm really looking forward to this event!http://kunstklubberlin.blogspot.com/

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)David Shrigley, Chris Kerr, Amy Cutler, Fischli & Weiss, Tal R, Neil Farber

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)Of course you can!

Contact me via email: mail at giselind.com

q)Anything that people should know about that we don't??

a)Sometimes I wish I've studied Biology instead of Fine Arts.
q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)First I need to gain distance to my own work. The best way to do so is to visit exhibitions and gallerys. Or watching movies ("Die Bettwurst" always works very well). In general I try to get as much input as I can.


q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)Naive, dilettantish, narrative, humorousI wish I could say abstract.

q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I studied Fine Arts in Braunschweig, Germany in the classes of Frances Scholz and John Armleder.Plus, I do my workout on daily rates!

q)Is there a tool or material that you can't imagine living without?

a)Feel really lost without my computer.

q)Who are your influences?Michel Gondry, Todd Solondz, Christoph Schlingensief, Daniel Johnston, Scout Niblett, Animal Collective

q)What inspires you to create?

a)Etchings from the 17th century showing animals inspire me a lot. The Illustrators of these days tried to make a realistic picture of exotic animals which they've never seen in reality. This mostly looks bizarre. It is always fascinating when reality and imagination meet.


q)...your contacts...


mail at giselind.com

Nessun commento: