domenica 16 novembre 2008

Interview with Patrick Gildersleeves






q) What is your name and what do you do?


a)I am Patrick Gildersleeves and I am an illustrator and artist.


q)When did you really get into art?

a)As long as I can remember really. I used to love drawing cartoons when I was a kid. I drew pictures of cowboys shooting each other, football matches, dragons and crazy looking birds. When I look at those old pictures, I feel a bit jealous of the freedom and madness that was so easy and natural when I was a child.


q)How did you come to the realization that you should try your luck at art on a more serious level?


a)I had a dream one night where I was alone on a mountain top, overlooking the water meadows near my old home. A crow landed at my feet and said "You are ready to soar in the world of art". When I woke up the next morning, I knew.


q)How did you discover the particular style that you have?


a)Many hours of drawing, choosing the bits that I liked and getting rid of the poo parts. It is still developing, but now more parts seem good to me than before.


q)How would you describe your style?


a)Quiet, neat, fun, nice, good.


q)Who or what influences your art?


a)There are many comtemporary creatives who I really admire. I particularly like Misaki Kawai, Marcel Dzama and films by Studio Ghibli. I am very much inspired by Inuit art, drawings and paintings from the Far East, South American clothing and African masks.


q)How often do you create a new piece?


a)It all depends on how busy I am and how inspired I am feeling. I guess I create a new piece that I really am happy with about once every two weeks. Obviously this process is sped up a great deal if I have a deadline to work to.


q)What kind of success have you had with your art?


a)I have exhibited in group shows in many places, including London, Hong Kong, Berlin, Ottawa. I had my first solo show in Amsterdam earlier on this year. That was very exciting and a little bit frightening. I've also been doing some illustrations for a few magazines (plan B, MILK, The One & Only Zine) too.


q)What would be the ultimate goal for you and your art?


a)I would like to be able to earn a living from just doing my artwork. I would also love to make some seriously big pictures and illustrate a book or two.


q)What do you see as an accomplishment in the way of art?


a)Creating something that makes you feel something perhaps. Whether that be happy, sad, amused, awed, impressed, pleased, pissed off, etc.


q)What kind of message, if any, do you try to convey through your art?


a)I'd be lying if I said I was trying to convey a message...sorry!


q)Sum up your art in one word.


a)Fine


q)…your contacts…


a) www.wowoutrageous.com


patrick@wowoutrageous.com


www.flickr.com/photos/wowoutrageous/

Nessun commento: