mercoledì 26 ottobre 2011

Interview with Julia Selin






q)Please tell us your name and where you practice.

a)Julia Selin, lives and works in Umeå, northern Sweden.

q) Why do you make art?

a)Because its fun.

q) How do you work ?

a)With drawing, painting and installation.

q) What´s your background?

a)I studied at the Nordic art school for two years, now I'm studying at Umeå Art Academy, taking my MFA in Fine Art.

q) What role does the artist have in society?

a)Don't know!

q) What was a seminal experience for you ?

a)When I dug a deep hole in the ground.

q) Has your practice changed over time ?

a)I guess its changing all the time.

q) What art do you most identify with ?

a)I guess a lot, but in different ways. Recently I've been looking a lot at the weird dead horse-sculptures of Berlinde de Bruyckere.

q) What´s your strongest memory of your childhood ?

a)Maybe once when I got stuck in the mud, trying to cross a field during a very rainy fall.

q) What themes do you pursue ?

a)A sort of relationship between human and nature, and the nature and its soil as some kind of flesh and blood-creature. And about places where the ground seems to be a passage to the underground, like swamps and meres and marshes.

q) Describe a real life experience that inspired you.

a)Walking in the mountains of Lapland in Sweden.

q) What jobs have you done other than being an artist ?

a)Ive been a graveyard janitor, a stable worker and an art teacher.

q) What responses have you had to your work ?

a)I guess mostly positive.

q) What do you dislike about the artworld ?

a)Male artists.

q) What research do you do ?

a)Field trips, and the library.

q) What is your dream project?

a)Spending a year in a small hut at a place with a good view, with a lake and mountains and not too many trees and no people. There I would paint and make installations outside.

q) What´s the best piece of advice you have been given ?

a)To do what is fun and interesting and not to do only what you think is expected from you.

q) What couldn’t you do without?

a)My baby and his father.

q) What makes you angry?

a)Rapists and war and violence and injustice.

q) What is your worst quality?

a)No patience.

q) Dogs or Cats ?

a)Both.

q) Making art is a lot like being on lsd. Know what I mean ?

a)Maybe, but I havnt tried lsd so I dont know.

q) What does “ copy” mean to you ?

a)I think copying is good. I think its impossible to copy someone perfectly. If I see something I like I often try to copy it, but then it ends up being completely different anyways.

q) What´s your favorite cuss word ?

a)Satan.

Nessun commento: