martedì 14 dicembre 2010

Interview with Enrico Pitzianti





q)Who are you? Where are you from and where do you live now?


a)I am a visual artist, currently living in Sassari, Italy.


q)What is it that you do? What media do you use?


a)I work mainly on collage and painting, but I like to explore other media, using photography and bricolage for instance.


q)What do you think sets your work apart?


a)The most distinctive features are the use of black and white as well as color choice in general, and the spirituality in the compositions. In particular reference to my collages I think the peculiarities are the kinds of material I use, often result of a good mix of research and selection, and the right hint of subconsciousness.


q)How long have you been showing your work for? Did you have a “big break?”


a)I never had a "big break". I have never stopped drawing, a really important moment to me has been the beginning of my passion for graffiti, but post-graffitism boom was what most fascinated me. After several years of passion for public art I began to believe more in the human and anthropological value of the individual, consequently creating a personal production; personal but not an end in itself, though. Since then urban art has given place to spirituality, reflection and relieve in an more intimate dimension. What I have been showing is various, aside public art experiences and first canvases what most matters to me are the occasions of collage and composition works exhibitions.


q)What are some things that have inspired you?


a)In this very period my biggest influence comes from nature, especially from the mountain. I have always been bound to it but lately, for some reason, this feeling has grown. Atmospheres, aesthetical logics, even just the "mountain dimension", influence what I do. Although there is no influence in the works but in the phase precedent to their creation. Even aesthetic philosophy and its evolution are a big influence, most of all the one between the the thirties and the seventies.


q)What have you been working on recently?


a)The last thing I have been working on is a serie of big sized collages. It is something I really care about because of the use of color besides black and white, fairly unusual to me. I hope to show it soon.

q)Do you listen to music while you create your work? If so, would you give some examples?

a)I do often, though not always. Lately I have been accompanying my work with drone, industrial and psychedelic rock: Bardo Pond, Sunn O))), Isis, Current 93, Maurizio Bianchi just to mention a few. Referring to something that influences what I do I would say late New Age.

q)Do you do work in any other media? Other projects not necessarily related to your main body of work?

a)A musical project, still in development though.

q)What advice do you have for artists looking to show their work?

a)I do not think I can say it, I am neither a gallery manager nor an expert, but in my opinion timing, spaces and choices made about showing one's work must be taken considering working modalities and types.

q)Do you have any upcoming exhibitions of your work that you can mention?

a)The presentation of a fanzine entirely dedicated to collage, "mekanik copulaire", edited by Willaim Turlisky, featuring several european artists, besides me. Other upcoming events are two collective exhibition, a fantasy-themed one in Cagliari and another entirely dedicated to collage art. Soon there will be more informations.

q)Where can people see more of your work on the internet?

a)I have a temporary site on ptznt.tumblr.com where people can find links and updates.

1 commento:

Unknown ha detto...

I believe that the path of an artist is influenced not only by its very essence, but by his own history.
The inspiration of the mountains of Sardinia is strong. Mountains strong and muscular, mountain and screaming that they often have the look of despair.
I know, Enrico for many years and in his work seems to be very genuine and free of moral conformism: the child that every man should be!
I am very proud of Enrico! Bravo!