venerdì 11 settembre 2009

Interview with Signý Kolbeinsdóttir





q)Please introduce yourself.

a)My name is Signý Kolbeinsdóttir

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live and work in Reykjavik, Iceland

q) How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?

a)Round, colorful, cute, surreal, japanese manga and fairy tail style illustrations with a darker side.


q) How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an artist?

a)I always new I would work in this area. My mother is an artist and she had a huge influence on me.

q) What are your favorite art materials and why?

a)it depends on what I´m doing at the time.

I use a pen and paper alot and also my computer off course.

q) What/who influences you most?

a)Nature, food, colors, other great artists and illustrators....



q) Describe a typical day of art making for you.

a)I go to my studio around 9 in the morning with a short stop at a coffeehouse to get a take away latte and I work until 4 pm with a lunch brake.


q) Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?

a)I want to be able to live of my work, my own design and creation



q) What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you?

a)Takashi Murakami, Jeff Koons, Matthew Barney, The Chapman Brothers, Nagi Noda...Hello Kitty?....and more


q) How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?

a)it varies...

q) Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to them?

a)Yes I enjoy it very much. I´m very happy if other people like my work.

q) Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're listening to now?

a)Sure , these days I´m listening to Bat for Lashes, Gus Gus, Michael Jackson, Kate Bush....

q) Books?

a)Right now I´m reading The Girl with the dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

q) What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the creative process?

a)work work work...don´t give up


q) What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating?

a)Spending time with my family

q) Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are particularly excited about?

a)I´m going to decorate one of the coolest shoe stores in Reykjavik and I´m doing some vinyl wall stickers and wallpaper soon.

q) Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?

a)I subscribe to Computer Arts Projects which I like very much.


q) Any advice for aspiring artists?

a).....think positive and be yourself.

q) Where can we see more of your work online?

a)www.signy.net

Nessun commento: