mercoledì 4 marzo 2009

Interview with Aurelia Lange





q)Please introduce yourself.

a)Hello my name is Aurelia Lange.

q)Where do you live and work?

a)I am currently living in Cheltenham in

the UK

q)How would you describe your work to

someone who has never seen it?

aAbstract, organic and strange.I am influenced a lot

by nature, and by people, that i meet or see.

q)How did you start in the arts? How/when did

you realize you were an artist?

a)I have been interested in drawing from a young

age and have grown alongside two sisters who are

also now in the creative sector. My parents have

always encouraged us to be creative and going

onto study illustration was the best decision I have made so far.

q)What are your favorite art materials

and why?

a)Pencil and inks I like them because they can

achieve polar opposite results depending on what

mood you are in. Soft to dramatic. I also like

working in black and white.

q)What/who influences you most?

a)Going on trips, documenting them, history,

heritage, stories and folk tales.

Nature documentaries

My family

Meeting new people,

Listening to the radio.

q)Describe a typical day of art making

for you.

a)Cup of tea , procrastinate a little- find something

good to listen to then when there are no more

immediate distractions start drawing. I tend to

work on many projects at once which I'm not sure

if its a reflection on how distracted I get but I

think comes out in interesting results, one project

can inform another whether its technique or the

form its taking- for example when I was studying

I would take a project in many directions to see

where it could go, from animation to drawing to 3D.

I miss having the time to do that.

q)Do you have goals, specific things you want to

achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?

a)Loads, I want to experience more, travel,

meet more people document it, I would like to

work in the creative industry for a while and then

hopefully apply to do an MA. I want to continue

to learn as much as I can and progress.

q)What contemporary artists or developments

in art interest you?

a)Technology, and the resources that are

available to us now, I think it crosses boundaries

that were there once before. I think its harder

to define certain areas of 'art'. Illustration to me is

communicating something visually- this can take many

forms- but then so is graphic design. I like to mix

things up embrace photoshop as well as traditional

drawing and hand made approaches. I think its

important to keep up with the progressing technology.

q)How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?

a)It depends what it is, If its an animation that can be

very lengthy, drawing doesn't take me very long to

execute but I do spend time working out if I think

its finished or there could be more to it. sometimes

I leave things and come back to them

q)Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are

you emotionally attached to them?

a)I enjoy others wanting to own something of mine

definitely. If I ever sell something I would

always have a digital copy.

q)Is music important to you? If so, what are

some things you're listening to now?

a)I always listen to music when I work I think

its essential. I really like experimental music

where you can hear different samples and sound

effects used on the tracks. I had a lot of fun

with my friend Nic Bennet working on sounds

for one of my animations last year we sampled

bed frames water dripping pepper grinders.

I am currently listening to Silje Nes. I also like

listening to the radio, a couple of favorites are

' the current' Minneapolis public radio station,

and This American Life. Chicago public radio.

q)Books?

a)I am currently reading 'The Cloudspotter's guide'

by Gavin Pretor-Pinney I was excited to hear there

is a cloud appreciation society. I love things like that.

q)What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing)

when you're not creating?

a)Spending time with friends, listening to music,

watching films, going on trips when I can,

looking through charity shops.

q)Do you have any projects or shows coming up

that you are particularly excited about?

a)I have just worked on a record cover for Lianne Hall

and d_rradio which is about to be sent off...another

project being a studio space I have just put a

deposit down for im super excited about that.

q)Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so,

how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?

a)Here are some nice sites;

http://www.analoguebooks.co.uk/

http://www.designobserver.com/

http://www.fecalface.com

www.kindraishere.blogspot.com

q)Ask yourself a question you'd like to answer,

and answer it.

a)What did you have for breakfast?

Tea, toast and blueberry jam.

q)Any advice for aspiring artists?

a)Continue doing what you do best

q)Where can we see more of your

work online?

a)http://www.aurelialange.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/user/AureliaLange

http://www.aurelialange.blogspot.com




Nessun commento: