mercoledì 8 ottobre 2008

Interview with Jeff Faerber

q)What is your name?

a)Jeff Faerber

q) Where do you live and work?

a)Brooklyn, NY, USA

q)What is your creative process like?

a)My process usually involves reinterpreting something, usually something I see, or an idea, or a combination of the two. Sometimes ideas will ferment in my head for years before I finally decide how I want it to work.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)I prefer to use mixed media, but it is primarily acrylic paint with random other things thrown in the mix.

q)What is your current favorite subject?
a)I am always drawn to the human figure, but lately I have been doing more street scenes of Brooklyn and New York

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)It varies. I have a pile of half finished works, some years old that I promise I will finish some day. Some spring out fully realized in a few short hours, some are painfully labours that take weeks.

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Being happy with my final results more often than not.

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)David Hollenbach, Frank Gonzalez, Alex Kanevsky, Kent Williams, Jenny Saville.


q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)Directly through me (
www.jefffaerber.com), or the Object Image Gallery (objectimagegallery.com) in Brooklyn usually has several of my pieces in stock.

q)Anything that people should know about that we don’t??

a)Left-handers do it better.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)Turn your TV off and forgo personal relationships!

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)My pile of half finished work keeps giving me dirty looks.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)I usually quote how others have described it. Just last week someone said I paint like Hemingway writes. (Of course I haven’t ever read Hemingway but I like the description anyways) Someone else described it as “morbid sensuality” which works for me as well.


q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)Taking 6.5 years of art classes to get a 4 year degree. Taking classes with Barron Storey. Having smart friends how can honestly give me feedback.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can’t imagine living without?

a)I like acrylics.

q)Who are your influences?
a)Jenny Saville, Rembrandt, Dave McKean, Egon Schiele, old daguerreotypes, Anselm Keifer, and all the contemporary artists I mentioned to that other question.

q)What inspires you to create?
a)I am inspired by things I see, whether that is other art, or things in daily life. Also, current events, movies, literature, dreams (literal and metaphorical) all play a part.


q)…your contacts…

a)
www.jefffaerber.com

Nessun commento: