sabato 18 luglio 2009

Interview with Dermot McConaghy




q)Please introduce yourself.


a)Hello, My Name is Dermot McConaghy and I am a visual artist. My work is found on www.manchini.co.uk


q) Where do you live and work?


a)I live and work in Northern Ireland. I live 25 miles outside the city of Belfast and I work within

Ireland. It changes from week to week but I have a small studio at my home which I use as a base for all my freelance work and commissions.


q) How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?


a)I would describe my work as a dirty graphic art. A mixture of subject marks, lines, textures and space.


q) How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an artist?


a)I loved art at school and I found I got a good reaction from people when they seen my drawings. Plus I was really shit at football so it made sense to stick to something I was good at.


q) What are your favorite art materials and why?


a)Spray paints and paint markers. 100%. I love the marks and range of effects you can achieve.


q) What/who influences you most?


a)I love work by artists like Eduardo Recife, Feargal O’Malley, Neasden Control Centre and Conor Harrington. If you haven’t seen their work……… google it. I like dirty stuff, I am a fan of gritty artwork.


q) Describe a typical day of art making for you.


a)I work best at night actually. I love working while everyone else is sleeping. It’s a lot more peaceful with little distractions. I would get into my studio at the side of my house and start experimenting with textures and marks. Then start looking at compositions and the subject matter. I always leave my work for a while and then take a fresh look later. I seem to be more focussed when I come back to my art after taking time out.


q) Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?


a)Not really, I would like to keep working and exhibiting as an artist. If I can keep making a living I don’t care what is around the corner. That is what I love the most, not knowing too much of where things will lead to in the future. It is more exciting that way.


q) What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you?


a)None in particular but overall I am interested in developments within street art and tattoo art. I like low-key things that aren’t in the media but art lovers are talking about. I’m not into big names like Damien Hirst. I like artists who do paint their own paintings.


q) How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?


a)Sometimes days, sometimes weeks.


q) Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to them?


a)I enjoy the thought of someone liking my work enough to buy it but I’m not big into sales. On my website I don’t push sale of work or put prices on pieces. I used to give work away to people if they liked it. I’d rather they had it than it gather dust in my house.


q) Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're listening to now?


a)Not as much as art. My ipod has bands like Kings of Leon, The Prodigy and The Libertines.


q) Books?


a)Only art books. I dont read much, It bores me. I love the images. I just recieved a copy of Illusive II. I got a feature in it. My favorite book is the first book by Neasden Control Centre. I found it to be so beautifully wrong.


q) What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the creative process?


a)I have found that the creative process is not a 9am to 5pm thing. It comes at weird times and strange places and it is important that when it does happen to record it and act on it. Be experimental and get your hands dirty.


q) What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating?


a)I like to spend time with my wife and kids. It is important to step back from work and relax. I love going to the city too. I love to see the different people rushing around. Cities excite me.


q) Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are particularly excited about?


a)Yes, I just had some work in a show in Dublin, Ireland. Also I have got a lot of mural work at the minute so I can’t wait to get spraying. I love seeing my work large scale. It gives me a buzz.


q) Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?


a)At the minute I am following JUXTAPOZ magazine. I love the variety of stuff they feature.


q) Ask yourself a question you'd like to answer, and answer it.


a)Q . Would you swap your love for art with a love for something else?

No.


q) Any advice for aspiring artists?


a)Yes, Don’t give up. Keep doing it. Tell everyone about what you do and show people what you do. If no one knows that you are an artist you can expect to be treated like one. Things will happen for you if you are living it.


q) Where can we see more of your work online?


a) www.manchini.co.uk

www.theinternationalillustrated.com

www.candycollective.com

Nessun commento: