lunedì 22 dicembre 2008

Interview with Hanna Melin







q) What is your name and what do you do?
 
a)Hanna Melin, Illustrator
 
q)When did you really get into art? 
 
a)I think around 5, doing cross stitching with my grandmother and ugly
christmas decorations with my mum. Drawing was my favourite thing.
 
q)How did you come to the realization that you should try your luck at
 
a)art on a more serious level? 
I went to England 1998 to do a one year foundation course in Art, didn’t
even knew that you could be an illustrator. I thought you had to do
childrens books if you were one.
The more I studied the more I thougth it was the thing for me
. All my friends at the course applied to do University, BA Illustration.
Didn’t know you could do that! So kind of did it cause every one else did
it. Loved it. After my BA, I went on to do a MA, master of art.
 
q)How did you discover the particular style that you have? 
 
a)It just comes out of my hands. When I draw, even if I try not to, it
always looks like "me". Sometimes I try other styles, but it still comes
back to looking like "me'. So don’t know really.
 
q)How would you describe your style? 
 
a)Humour. I like drawing people, I think I am good at observing, and then
draw peoples faces and gestures.
 
q)Who or what influences your art? 
 
a)Supermarkets, cafes, Oxford Street. I like ugly people a lot, people
with funny dress sense.
Product designers, like Hella Jongerius, I love. Also ceramic I find
inspiring.
 
q)How often do you create a new piece? 
 
a)Twice a week.
 
q)What kind of success have you had with your art? 
 
a)I can pay my bills, I think thats my biggest success...
With my Illustration, I did an animation advertise for the Halifax, the
bank. that was pretty major.With my ceramics, I have been featured a lot
in magazines lately, Living etc, the Independent, World of interiors.
thats always nice.
 
q)What would be the ultimate goal for you and your art? 
 
a)I would love to get a manufacure for my ceramics, so I don’t have to do all
the work!!
 
q)What do you see as an accomplishment in the way of art? 
 
a)To remember that you don’t get paid in money for doing this, you get paid
in freedom and satisfaction with life.
 
q)What kind of message, if any, do you try to convey through your art? 
 
a)Let’s not be serious.
 
q)Sum up your art in one word. 
 
a)Fun.
 
q)Any additional comments? 
 
a)It’s hard work being an artist, but its great when it works!
 
q)…your contacts… 
 
a) www.hannamelin.com

Nessun commento: