domenica 23 settembre 2012

Interview with Ian Liddle






q)Introduce yourself, name,age, location.

a)My name is Ian Liddle, I'm male, 42, British, working and living in Berlin, Germany.

q) Can you describe your path to being an artist? When did you really get into it?

a)Pretty early memories of certain pictures/images fascinating me. Age 6 being captivated by a reproduction of Bruegals 'The Triumph of Death' in a book at home, from age 7 onwards eagerly consuming violent British comics every week, Action, Battle, 2000ad, etc. I guess at 19, having left school at 16 without being in any sort of higher education, spending months making collages/drawings with no real intention of ever showing them to anyone, just doing it for its own sake, made me realise I'll carry on doing this whether i'm 'succesful' or not.

q) Describe your ideals and how they manifest in your work.

a)Hard question... I guess dont compromise

q) Is music a part of your studio time? What do you listen to?

a)No

q) How would you describe your work to someone?

a)Intense, direct, strong, handcrafted

q) Influences?

a)Pre computer renderd comics, sci-fi, horror,,, satire, J.G Ballard, Alan Moore, Jan Svankmajer,,,, as for artists, John Heartfield, Gene Colon, Schiele, Klimt, Kevin Oneill, Bosch, Giger, Breugal, Jamie Reid stuff for the sex pistols

q) Describe your process for creating new work.

a)Different for different things I do, sometimes necessity, for example my exgirlfriend forbade me from chopping up/drawing on any of her old magazines so I had to invent a new process of collaging images i wanted to use from them by shining lamps through the pages building up layers of images to create new collages and then taking photos of the resulting images - the end result being the photographs which I then had printed - now some of these prints I've turned into multicoloured multilayered drawings. Other times I might plan something before I start it, eg, a model set up and posed in a certain way before I start drawing/painting.

q) What advice do you have for artists looking to show their work?

a)Maybe dont expect too much in the way of results from an exhibition beyond doing your stuff to the best of your ability, keep going, plan the next one, dont start believing peoples bullshit.

q) What are you really excited about right now?

a)Life Drawing

q) What do you love most about where you live?

a)Germans

q) Best way to spend a day off?

a)Avoiding Germans

q) Upcoming shows/ projects?

a)A showroom/exhibition collaberation with a fashion designer in December/January, making books, mural work for an apartment, designing/printing tshirts for some musicians i work with, life drawing, plus in the planning stage for some paintings

q) Where can people see more of your work on the internet?

















Nessun commento: