sabato 26 febbraio 2011

Interview with Dean McDowel






q)Who are you? Where are you from and where do you live now?



a)Dean McDowell, a Northern Irish born artist currently living in small grey city that is commonly known as Belfast.


q)What is it that you do? What media do you use?



a)I walk a fine dark line between lowbrow and fine art. My preferred medium is oil on canvas but for deadline reason acrylics can be used extensively.


q)What do you think sets your work apart?



a)That's a hard question that might be better answered by someone who has stumbled across my work for he first time however, if you had to pin me down on the subject, I would say the emotion I try to put into every painting I produce regardless of subject matter.


q)How long have you been showing your work for? Did you have a “big break?”



a)Probably around the 10 year mark. I wish I could say a 'big break' just happened on a certain date or event, the reality is I struggle emotionally with my work to the point I only produce a very limited number of paintings each year. Rather than grasping opportunities or 'breaks' I generally shy away from them... I hope and am currently trying to change break that cycle....


q)What are some things that have inspired you?


a)Life, it's that simple. I know that is a common answer I give in most interviews but it is a simple truth, to watch life's goings on whether that be through the media, web or simply lifecasts you really can't get away from the inspiration good or bad that surrounds us on a daily basis.


q)What have you been working on recently?


a)Having recently taken a 2 year break from art for purely personal reasons I'm just now getting back into things for 2011. At present I'm working towards supplying galleries both in theUK and US and working towards upcoming shows in 2012. The current works are a mixture of lowbrow and fine arts depending on the mood, I've picked up on my old style but throughout 2011 people should start to see something a little different.


q)Do you listen to music while you create your work? If so, would you give some examples?


a)It's not often I work without music in the background, it's become a bit of a necessity. I'll listen everything from the kidney thieves to suede, I guess my preference is for music with an alternative edge.


q)Do you do work in any other media? Other projects not necessarily related to your main body of work?


a)I do but under an Alis, maybe one day I'll come clean....


q)What advice do you have for artists looking to show their work?


a)Art is fickle, and the art world can be extremely fickle... Simply believe in your work and not the almighty dollar, once you produce work for monetary value alone your art will have lost it's soul.


q)Do you have any upcoming exhibitions of your work that you can mention?


a)I have just accepted my first show in March 2012, the work will be on show in the Rothick Art Haus, California.


q)Where can people see more of your work on the internet?


a)
www.deanmcdowellartist.com

http://en-gb.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001196652149&sk=info

Nessun commento: