domenica 25 aprile 2010

Interview with Winston Chmielinski





q)What is your earliest art-related memory?


a)Crimson berries grow wild around my childhood elementary school... I would mash them up, smear the color on cheeks, into my hair, and since my hair was already quite dark brown I would sometimes involve the blondes.


q) Who has had the greatest influence on your work?


a)Francis Bacon, Egon Schiele


q) What are the main tools of your craft?


a)For now, Golden Open Acrylics on canvas, panel, clay board. Really old brushes.


q) Is a formal education important?


a)As for painting I’m self-taught. An effective artist is perceptive, and effective schooling opens up the eyes.


q) What is the biggest misconception about art?


a)That it can be confined to a category.


q) Which is more important in art - concept or execution?


a)Both have their place, maybe at different times. If I try to follow the oscillations between the two I get confused; I theorize outside the studio (I think a lot, a lot,) and let loose inside.


q) What theme or aesthetic are you most drawn too?


a)Confined accidents, moments of menial rendering beset by freefalls and vice versa.


q) What is your favorite piece of art in your home?


a)Of my own, “Color Me Quiet” – it resonates with memories, and powerful objects are exhilarating


q) What has been your greatest achievement to date?


a)Sticking with it


q) What has been your biggest roadblock?


a)Someone else will determine that in retrospect.


q) How do you define success?


a)If intense individuals find my artwork intensely relatable


q)What is the best piece of (art-related) advice you’ve ever been given?


a)Just do

Nessun commento: