mercoledì 2 settembre 2009

Interview with Patrick Haemmerlein





q)Please introduce yourself. 
 
 a)Hi - my name is Patrick Haemmerlein
 
 
q) Where do you live and work? 
 
 
a)I live in Los Angeles CA and work out of my apartment turned studio
 
 
q) How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it? 
 
 
a)Informational
 
 
q) How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an
artist? 
 
 
a)Well I always did draw - fire trucks, race cars, family members and such -
but looking at the pieces now I see I wasent very good at it - it wasent
until I moved to Los Angeles and picked up a camera and started shooting
and then designing with those pictures = that's when everything began for
me - that was back in fall of 2000
 
 
q) What are your favorite art materials and why? 
 
 
a)Paper - im a collager
 
 
q) What/who influences you most? 
 
 
a)My surroundings - most strong the actual city of Los Angeles - as I wander
the city I take pictures and then design around them and then make my
art.....most of my work is produced by chance - for example - I was
driving to a meeting a few months back - in santa monica - as I was
sitting at a traffic light - I see the most unusual tree - so I grabbed my
camera - which is always on my lap as I drive - shot the tree - got home
later that afternoon - downloaded the image and made a design around it =
which started a whole tree/city series - and if I dident go that that
meeting that day - would I have saw that tree some other time - or a
differnt tree that inspired the idea - maybe - so it was all by chance =
that how my work works
 
 
q) Describe a typical day of art making for you. 
 
 
a)I wake up between 6 & 7am everyday - make coffee - eat fruit - and am
working soon after that - while watching sports center - I usually work
until noon or so and then go on a bike ride to forage for food - I dont
cook much - mexican, italian or Thai usually = then I get back home work a
little more and then take a nap - have to have it – I’m 34 and have to nap
- sad I know - but then i awake and it's like a new day and I’m ready to go
-after a cup of green tea- have to have it and it has to be green - as you
can see I am a creature of habit = I can re-adjust when needed - but for
full force creativity - I must have a regimen   - then I work for a while
and go out or stay in or whatever - always different
 
 
q) Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art
or in your career as an artist? 
 
 
a)Oh yes - sell art and find design work of all kinds - for the rest of my life
 
 
q) What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you? 
 
 
a)Well I show with alot of great artist - I mostly like people who work with
paper in some way - paint or collage or whatever - as far as a particular
artist - I really like Swoon
 
 
q) How long does it typically take you to finish a piece? 
 
 
a)Well my pieces work in layers - and each layer must dry before I can work
on the next - a day or so - so what I usually do is start 3 or 4 at the
same time - depending on the size -
 
 
q) Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to
them? 
 
 
a)I LOVE selling art work - been doing it for 7 years now and will do it til
I die - I used to become attached - and still do sometimes - but gotta pay
the rent = and selling art is my primary source of income
 
 
q) Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're
listening to now? 
 
 
a)Oh yes - always have my pandora internet radio on - everthing from Led
Zeppelin & neal young to the white strips/silver sun pickups
 
 
q) Books? 
 
 
a)Ya know - I use book pages alot in my work - and do read some of those -
but I mostly use old dictionaries and encyclopedias. The  last book I read
was the lord of the rings trilogy = and that was back when the movies were
out - I do read the news everday thought - love current events -
 
 
q) What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the
creative process? 
 
 
a)Work - work all the time - and you better love it - because you will loss
things & relationships over it
 
 
q) What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating? 
 
 
a)Think about creating
 
 
q) Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are
particularly excited about? 
 
 
a)Oh yes = well I am a resident artist at the hive gallery and studios -
which means I have 26 feet of wall space to sell from - and I like to keep
it full - then I have a solo show in Anihem in october and a 2 person show
here in LA in november - and a bunch of group shows in between  - Los
Angeles has a thriving art scene - so yes very busy -
 
 
q) Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites,
magazines, galleries do you prefer? 
 
a)Art shows here in town - and art blogs and such on the web = I try to stay
connected
 
 
q) Any advice for aspiring artists? 
 
a)Kinda same as above = work - create all the time - and pick a style to
work in - but dont be afraid to change it down the road
 
 
 

1 commento:

Rebecca Lim ha detto...

Hey, i'm not sure if you'll understand this cause its in ENGLISH.. but hopefully you can!:)

I was wondering if you could please post it with the full interview script. because i noticed that some of it was cut off on the right side of the responses!! that would really help thank yoU!:)