lunedì 13 ottobre 2008

Interview with Chris Brett





q)What is your name?

a)Chris Brett

q) Where do you live and work?

a)Greater Toronto Area

q)What is your creative process like?

a)It varies, I like to try new things each and every piece, but it always starts with doodles and notes I make when an idea pops in my head. From there its a mix of happy accidents, and on the fly pattern, texture, and color selections.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)Acrylic, SprayPaint and Collage is primarily how I work. Other mediums make their way into my pieces when called for, but I always use acrylic, spraypaint and collage elements.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)At this point I have just been focusing on characters and pushing different mediums around together. I recently did a series of paintings dealing with hybrid creatures. Delicious summer treats coming to life, masked critters, and unidentified flying objects. The seasons always play a role in what subjects I want focus on. The Canadian seasons are all very distinct, and watching these transitions in colors, vegetation and life cycles, alongside the holidays associated with these seasons, always provides new ideas and subjects to draw from.

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)It varies, but once I have a drawing ready to go, it will take somewhere between, 5-15 hours...

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)My recent show at NewEra Toronto during Nuit Blanche was a very gratifying experience. I spent weeks getting a new body of work together for the show, and had a terrific turnout with so many kind words of appreciation and encouragement from total strangers. It was a great opportunity to share my work with the city, and meet so many hardworking, creative people along the way.

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Most definately. Most are right here in Canada. Rick Sealock, Dave Barnes, Jeff Garcia, Jon Todd, Erin and Kelly Carter, Ben Tour, Martin Wittfooth, and Ted Zourntous. Just to name a few. Canada is overflowing with talented people, there are so many to choose from.
Internationally im really into Damon Soule, Jeff Soto, Greg Simkins, Camille Rose Garcia, Doze Green, Oliver Vernon.....and many more...

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)You sure can, you can buy directly from me, or keep up to date on upcoming exhibitions, on my website www.ChrisBrett.ca

q)Anything that people should know about that we don't??

a)Aside from cash, cheque and credit card, I also except payments in the form of Beer, Hockey Tickets, Large quantites of SunChips and New Hats.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)Best advice I ever received was to always have Fun and Never be Boring... keep drawing and stay thirsty.

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)The above advice handed down to me.....Have fun with it, dont be boring... when I’m straining for ideas or getting frustrated I just take a step back... hangout with friends, go for a walk, watch a movie, take a nap... then I get back to it with some fresh eyes and things usually start rolling again.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)A colorful medley of childhood dreams and nightmares intertwined in folklore, fairytale, and video game archtypes. Juxtaposed against the issues facing the modern world we live in today from the perspective of a 20 something year old Canadian.

q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I had an amazing experience in the Sheridan College Illustration program, the faculty of the program are among the top illustrators and artists in the world today, and have a wealth of knowledge to pass on to the next generation.. My early years of graffiti was also, if not the best, training I could have possibly received. The group of friends that first showed me the foundations of graffiti, and painting in general, were definitely the greatest help and influences in achieving my current level of artistry. I owe much to their guidance and patience.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can't imagine living without?

a)Coffee and Acrylics

q)Who are your influences?

a)All of the people I have mentioned above. From friends, to teachers, to international artists.

q)What inspires you to create?

a)Music, friends, family, nature and books.

q)…your contacts…

a) Info@ChrisBrett.ca


www.ChrisBrett.ca

www.ChrisBrett.ca/shop.html

Nessun commento: